Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Real Home Cooking: Shortcut Ravioli


One thing I wanted to do with this blog was to make it about home cooking, not just gourmet cooking. Home cooking isn't about doing everything by scratch, well at least the non-idyllic version isn't. Home cooking is often about finding shortcuts and having dishes that are easy to make after a long day at work.

The following dish is all about shortcuts. First, I started with fresh frozen ravioli from Alcamo's in Dearborn. The ravioli I like from Alcamo's is the chicken portobello mushroom. It has diced all-white meat chicken breast combined with diced mushrooms. They are excellent, but run $10 for a package that serves two. If you don't have Alcamo's in your neighborhood, than any store bought cheese ravioli works.

I was going to accompany the pasta with my homemade Alfredo sauce, until I realized my heavy cream expired last week. So, I went with a backup sauce packet. Knorr's garlic herb white sauce actually works very well for store bought ravioli. I did add some fresh asparagus and Parmesan Reggiano to bring some fresh elements to the dish.

There are a lot of dishes that come together without much effort. This was just one of them. I hope you find it useful if you ever are in a pinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment