Saturday, February 5, 2011

Coffee Rubbed Skirt Steak with Onion Date Compote



Like food blogging, my watching Food TV also goes in spurts. In a recent channel surf I came across a show new to me called Aarti's Party where I watched an episode making the following recipes. I modified both a little to my taste and also felt the amount of the onion compote was a bit much in the original recipe. Depending on how many guests you can adjust. I found the recipe below made enough for 4 people.

Coffee Rubbed Skirt Steak
Serves 4

1 1/2 Tbls chili powder
1 1/2 Tbls brown sugar
1 Tbl ground coffee
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp garam masala
1 (1 1/2-2 pound) skirt or flank steak

Place all spices in a bowl that you'll then use to let the steak sit and marinate for 2 hours or overnight. Mix the spices together and then add steak and rub into all sides.

Heat grill and cook marinated rubbed steak to desired taste. It's a fairly thin steak so cooking on the grill for 10 minutes on each side is good for a medium to medium-well finish.


Onion-Date Compote

1 Tbl olive oil
2 medium onions sliced into thin half-moons
Kosher salt
3 dates, pitted and minced
1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup water

Heat olive oil in small sauce pot. Add onions when oil is nice and hot on medium-high heat. Add salt and dates after a minute. Let it all cook until the onions become translucent. Add balsamic vinegar and water and cook on medium heat so that it is bubbling for a good 10-15 minutes until most of the liquid is gone. Serve with skirt steak.

2 comments:

  1. I made this. It was really delicious. I had my doubts about the compote but wow, it definitely made the recipe. Steve liked it too.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn. I agree and had the same doubts about the compote and reach the exact same conclusion.

    ReplyDelete